The Bristol Short Story Prize aims to publish great short stories and promote the stories and writers as much as possible. Discovering previously unpublished writers is central to our aims and we are absolutely committed to celebrating the short story genre and making it accessible and available to as wide an audience as we can.
The Bristol Short Story Prize was founded by the editors of the quarterly cultural magazine Bristol Review of Books in 2007.
- To publish a brilliant short story anthology every year full of fresh and original stories, and to get it stocked in as many bookshops as possible. This includes high street chains, independent shops and online booksellers.
- To inspire and encourage writers.
- To discover and promote previously unpublished writers.
- To provide an opportunity for writers to get published.
- To share our enthusiasm for short stories in as many ways and with as many people as possible.
- To establish Bristol as a short story centre.
- To raise the profile, support and raise funds for Bristol Review of Books magazine. (BROB magazine is not being published at the moment but we hope to be part of its return to publication at some stage in the future.)
Bristol Short Story Prize directors are:
- Richard Jones, publisher at Tangent Books
- Mike Manson, author, publisher at Past & Present Press
- Bertel Martin, development manager of Plymouth International Book Festival, publisher at City Chameleon
- Catherine Mason, publisher at Broadcast Books
- Joe Melia, former bookseller and reviewer, who is our main co-ordinator
- Publisher John Sansom and writer & librarian Lu Hersey also contribute ideas and administrative help.
Our address is: Unit 5.16, Paintworks, Bath Road, Bristol BS4 3EH. We share an office with leading Bristol publisher Tangent Books.
Phone number is: 0117 9720645 please ask to speak to our Co-ordinator, Joe Melia or to Richard Jones. Joe can also be contacted on 07708 095414. Office hours are 10.00 am to 5.00 pm Monday to Friday.We can also be contacted at : firstname.lastname@example.org Or pop down to Paintworks and say hello, if you’re in the area!