2014 Bristol Short Story Prize Rules
Please read the rules carefully before entering.
1. Closing date for receipt of entries is 30th April 2014 at midnight BST.
2. Entrants must be over 16 years old on the closing date, 30th April 2014.
3. The maximum length of submissions is 4,000 words (does not include title), there is no minimum length. Stories can be on any theme or subject and are welcome in any style including graphic, verse or genre-based (Crime, Science Fiction, Fantasy, Historical, Romance, Children’s etc..) .
4. Entries can be made online or by post. There is no geographical restriction on entry- the Bristol Short Story Prize is open to everyone, whether they are based in the UK or outside the UK. All entries should be in English. Postal entries will only be accepted as printed typescripts. There are no specific formatting requirements – font type, font size, line spacing etc.. Writers may format their work in the way they feel is most appropriate. Please send postal entry/entries to : Bristol Short Story Prize, Unit 5.16, Paintworks, Bath Road Bristol BS4 3EH
5. Authors may enter as many stories as they like. There is an entry fee of £8 for each story submitted. Payment for online entries should be made via the website. Payment for postal entries should be made by cheque. Cheque payments must be in pounds sterling and cheques should be made payable to ‘Bristol Short Story Prize Ltd.’. Each postal submission must be accompanied by an entry form.
6. Entries will not be returned. Please keep a copy. No corrections or alterations can be made after receipt.
7. Entries must be entirely the work of the entrant and must never have been previously published, in print or online (including websites, blogs, social network sites), or broadcast or won or been shortlisted in another writing competition. Any entry found to have been plagiarised will be disqualified. Simultaneous submissions are welcome – but please let us know as soon as possible if a story is to be published elsewhere or has won a prize or been shortlisted in another writing competition.
8. Entries will be read and judged anonymously; entrants names and contact details should only appear on the entry form and not anywhere on their stories/manuscripts. The stories/manuscripts must be free of all personal information about the author. This includes age and address.
9. If you require acknowledgement of receipt of your postal entry then please enclose a stamped addressed postcard marked ACKNOWLEDGEMENT. Online entries will be acknowledged by email.
10. All entrants must agree to have their work published in the Bristol Short Story Prize Anthology Volume 7, in both print and ebook formats, should they be the author of one of the 20 shortlisted stories. Authors will retain worldwide copyright on their work (including film and dramatic rights) but Bristol Short Story Prize has first publication rights to publish the 20 shortlisted stories in the Bristol Short Story Prize Anthology Volume 7, in both print and ebook formats.
11. Each of the shortlisted authors will receive 2 free copies of the paperback version of Bristol Short Story Prize Anthology Volume 7 and will be able to purchase further copies at a discount of 50%. Any profit from the sale of the BSSP Anthology Vol. 7 will go towards developing ShortStoryVille events, our schools’ projects and funding help for the Bristol Review of Books.
12. No competitor may win more than one prize. Entries will be read by a panel of professional publishers, reviewers and published writers. They will select a longlist of 40 for the judging panel. The judging panel will select the 20 stories to be published in the Bristol Short Story Prize Anthology Volume 7 and the top 3 prize winning stories. The judges decision is final and no individual correspondence will be entered into. Judges or readers will not comment on individual stories or give feedback on individual stories.
13. Prizes for 2014 are: 1st-£1000 plus £150 Waterstone’s Gift Card, 2nd -£700 plus £100 Waterstone’s Gift Card, 3rd -£400 plus £100 Waterstone’s Gift Card. Each of the 17 remaining shortlisted finalists will receive £100.
14. Prizes will be awarded at the 2014 Bristol Short Story Prize Awards Ceremony in October 2014 and will be sent to any of the 20 finalists who are unable to attend the awards ceremony. Prizes are not dependent on winners attending the 2014 Bristol Short Story Prize Awards Ceremony. Entrants will not be contacted individually about the competition results unless they are selected for the shortlist. The 2014 longlist and shortlist will be announced on the BSSP website. The longlist will be posted on the BSSP website on Wednesday 16th July 2014 at 2pm (BST) and the shortlist will be posted on the BSSP website on 30th July 2014 at 2pm (BST). The top 3 prize-winners will be displayed on the website within one week after the awards ceremony.
15. Any entrant wishing to withdraw a story from the competition before the closing date of midnight (BST) 30th April 2014 will receive a full refund. Please contact us by email. We will not be able to refund any withdrawn stories after the closing date of midnight (BST) 30th April 2014. . .
16. Entry implies an acceptance of all the Bristol Short Story Prize rules. Entries that fail to comply with the entry rules and requirements may be disqualified.